Mary Surratt's Denial of Lewis Powell
08-08-2012, 07:51 PM
RE: Mary Surratt's Denial of Lewis Powell
the more i read about this, the more it seems that you just can't avoid your destiny. Powell most likely thought he couldn't go home, not after what he'd done. Perhaps he had a death wish? Perhaps part of him knew he'd get caught, and perhaps he wanted to. He seemed pretty fatalistic in the prison. Of all of them, at least outwardly, he seemed to have accepted his fate...or at least railed the least against it.

The very first time I saw that famous photo of him on board the monitor staring into the camera lens, I hadn't a clue who he was, or his part in history, but what stood out was his expression, the look in his eyes. None of the other photos of the others held the same look. The article accompanying it told of Powell being a brutal, mindless killer, and I just thought, not this one. there's more to him than meets the eye. So I dug deeper, and indeed that is the case. In that photo he looks 'out of time' that is, not of that time but more of our time. He could be dressed by Diesel or All Saints. And so that photo is kind of iconic. I'll bet he'd have laughed his cotton socks off to think that his face is all over Ebay and You Tube and that 140 odd years after his death, he'd still be fluttering hearts.Cool

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mary Surratt's Denial of Lewis Powell - MaddieM - 08-08-2012 07:51 PM