"Phantoms" at Lincoln's deathbed
09-02-2014, 10:23 AM
RE: "Phantoms" at Lincoln's deathbed
(09-02-2014 09:32 AM)loetar44 Wrote:  (1) James Wormley (owner and operater of the Wormley Hotel in D.C.) was widely reported in 1865 to be at the bedside of Abraham Lincoln when he died. His presence at Lincoln's deathbed was cited in numerous obituaries and articles , however, I did not find any corroborating documentation of this presence.

(2) "Tributes to Abraham Lincoln", a compilation of newspaper articles, says: Gen. O'Beirne is the only man living who was present at the death of Lincoln. He waa sent to the house as provost-marshal by Secretary of War Stanton. Also here I did not find any corroborating documentation.

(3) Salmon P. Chase is pictured on a lot of deathbed scenes as witness but I doubt he was ever there at all. I thought he was only included so that beside family all branches (executive, legislative and judicial) might be represented.

Kees, do you have W. Emerson Reck's book? IMO it is one of the best sources for trying to determine who was/was not there.

Regarding Chase, he wrote in his diary that he was not present. Wormley is not mentioned at all in Reck's book, but I have seen the claim he was there. Linda once posted an article on this. O'Beirne is mentioned as having been there earlier but (unless I am missing it) not at the time of death.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Phantoms" at Lincoln's deathbed - RJNorton - 09-02-2014 10:23 AM