Lincoln's Gamble: The Tumultuous Six Months that Gave America the Emancipation
09-06-2014, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2014 03:35 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Lincoln's Gamble: The Tumultuous Six Months that Gave America the Emancipation
(09-05-2014 07:25 PM)L Verge Wrote:  IMO, at some point shortly before signing the Proclamation, Mr. Lincoln had to have doubts about what he was doing. Signing that edict changed the purpose of the war for both Union folks (who had signed on to save the country, not free the slaves) and Confederates (who now realized that it was full scale war against their way of life).
Surely Mr. Lincoln had to question his own actions at some point before he "bit the bullet" and dipped his pen in ink.
I sure agree he thought a lot back and forth, I just believe it had happened earlier and, like Roger, I think he was firm and decisive once the decision was made, for the main reason that this character trait was so often attributed to him. There were quite some others who doubted he would sign though, like the Radical Republicans.

The timeline of the procedure reads as follows:
July 13, 1862: Lincoln read initial draft of the Emancipation Proclamation to Secretaries Seward and Welles.
July 22: Lincoln discussed Draft of the Emancipation Proclamation at a cabinet meeting.
September: Antietam campaign.
Sept. 22: Cabinet discussion of Emancipation.
First printing of preliminary version of Emancipation Proclamation.
Jan. 1, 1863: Lincoln signed the Final Draft of the Emancipation Proclamation.

As for arriving at his decision, Lincoln told Francis B. Carpenter: "Finally, came the week of the battle of Antietam. I determined to wait no longer. The news came, I think, on Wednesday, that the advantage as on our side. I was then staying at the Soldiers' Home. Here I finished writing the second draft of the preliminary proclamation; came up on Saturday; called the Cabinet together to hear it, and it was published the following Monday."

Actually I believe he was firm by the time of the decisive Cabinet meeting on Sept. 22. As Chase wrote in his diary, Lincoln presented his plans as follows:
"Gentlemen: I have, as you are aware, thought a great deal about the relation of this war to Slavery; and you all remember that, several weeks ago, I read to you an Order I had prepared on this subject, which, on account of objections made by some of you, was not issued. Ever since then, my mind has been much occupied with this subject, and I have thought all along that the time for action on it might very probably come. I think the time has come now. I wish it were a better time...I do not wish your advice about the main matter – for that I have determined for myself. This I say without intending any thing but respect for any one of you. But I already know the views of each on this question. They have been heretofore expressed, and I have considered them as thoroughly and carefully as I can. What I have written is that which my reflections have determined me to say. ... , there is no way in which I can have any other man put where I am. I am here. I must do the best I can, and bear the responsibility of taking the course which I feel I ought to take." Chase commented: "The President then proceeded to read his Emancipation Proclamation, making remarks on the several parts...showing that he had fully considered the whole subject, in all lights under which it had been presented to him."
(D. Donald: "Inside Lincoln's Cabinet: The Civil War Diaries of Salmon P. Chase", p. 149-152.)

Gideon Welles and Treasury official Maunsell B. Field recalled the scene in a similar way.

Colfax' entire quote supports this:
"...he said to me and other friends that night: 'The signature looks a little tremulous, for my hand was tired, but my resolution was firm. I told them in September if they did not return to their allegiance, and cease murdering our soldiers, I would strike at the pillar of their strenght. And now the promise shall be kept,and not one word of it will I ever recall."

As for Roger's quote:
(09-06-2014 09:09 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  I came upon this Lincoln quote in the Fehrenbachers' book. The authors give it a "C." It does not seem to support my personal opinion that Lincoln was firm and decisive, but I thought, in all fairness, I should post it. The quote's source is Reverend John McClintock. McClintock included the quote in a sermon preached on April 16, 1865. The conversation he had with Lincoln probably occurred in 1864.
"Ah, Providence is stronger than either you or I. When I issued that proclamation, I was in great doubt about it myself. I did not think that the people had been quite educated up to it, and I feared its effects upon the border states. Yet I think it was right. I knew it would help our cause in Europe, and I trusted in God and did it."
...I'd love to know why the Fehrenbachers' rated it "C". However, even if he still had doubts (or better was insecure as for what effects to estimate) I so far doubt anything could seriously have made him retreat from signing - and he DID sign.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln's Gamble: The Tumultuous Six Months that Gave America the Emancipation - Eva Elisabeth - 09-06-2014 06:18 PM