Lincoln's Gamble: The Tumultuous Six Months that Gave America the Emancipation
09-05-2014, 05:46 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2014 04:43 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Lincoln's Gamble: The Tumultuous Six Months that Gave America the Emancipation
(09-05-2014 02:17 PM)David Lockmiller Wrote:  The footnote reference to this quote cites 4 references: 1) Colfax, Life and Principles of Abraham Lincoln, Delivered in the Court House Square, at South Bend, April 24, 1865 (Philadelphia: James B. Rodgers, 1865), pp. 16-17; Carpenter, Six Months at the White House, p. 87; Eberstadt, Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation, pp. 15-16, 17; Welles, diary entry for January 1, 1863, in Diary of Gideon Welles, volume one, p. 212.
MANY thanks, David!!! I'm so curious what exactly Welles wrote in his diary and Colfax said in his speech - looks as if there were two more contemporaries independently confirming Lincoln's firmness!

(09-05-2014 02:17 PM)David Lockmiller Wrote:  What "hint or evidence" did you see in Mrs. Stanley's letter to make you conclude that President Lincoln was not "firm at that time" in his conviction that he would sign the Emancipation Proclamation on New Year's Day of 1863?

Abraham Lincoln's reply ("I am under orders, I cannot do otherwise") to me implies he himself was opposed to what he was doing and just acting against his will due to "orders". A firm reply IMO would have been something like Seward recalled him saying: "I never in my life felt more certain that I was [will be] doing right, than I [will] do in signing this paper." I believe he was firm, and I'm sceptic the quote is reliable.

As Linda found out, and Mr. Brewster confirmed, Mrs. Stanley's letter will be mentioned in Mr. Brewster's book, and I assume he drew exactly this conclusion (that the reply was perhaps a sign of insecurity). Just to clarify (and repeat): I am sceptical of Mrs. Stanley's claim as I believe Lincoln was firm, and for the reason Laurie stated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln's Gamble: The Tumultuous Six Months that Gave America the Emancipation - Eva Elisabeth - 09-05-2014 05:46 PM