Lincoln's Gamble: The Tumultuous Six Months that Gave America the Emancipation
09-02-2014, 11:10 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2014 11:14 PM by Linda Anderson.)
RE: Lincoln's Gamble: The Tumultuous Six Months that Gave America the Emancipation
(09-02-2014 10:04 PM)brewstt Wrote:  As for Lincoln's decision on the EP being in doubt, Linda, I hope you will read my book. I think you will be surprised to see that even after the Preliminary Proclamation is published, Lincoln gave many signs of retreat right up to the night before. Also, I discovered that Carpenter can be a suspect source.

Thank you for your reply on Florence Stanley, Todd. So we should take Carpenter's stories with a grain of salt? I wonder about his tale of no one telling William Seward, the Secretary of State, about Lincoln being assassinated and Seward figuring it out himself when he sees the flag flying at half mast. Other sources say he was told over the weekend.

Just so you know, it was David Lockmiller who wrote that he disagrees about Lincoln's decision on the EP being in doubt, not me.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln's Gamble: The Tumultuous Six Months that Gave America the Emancipation - Linda Anderson - 09-02-2014 11:10 PM