Trip to D.C. - help, please!
07-30-2014, 06:21 PM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2014 06:30 PM by L Verge.)
RE: Trip to D.C. - help, please!
What was the problem with Ford's last time? Try emailing Eric.Martin@nps.gov. He's a wonderful Park Ranger there and may be working during that period and can cut through some ropes for you. Tell him that Laurie at Surratt House sent you. Make sure you see the Petersen House across the street, if you didn't before.

I would also love to have you visit Surratt House, but I suspect that transportation may be an issue. The Clara Barton House in Glen Echo, Maryland, may be a problem distance wise also; however, her office downtown where she worked after the war trying to get families and soldiers reunited or bodies found is now open right in the heart of the city. I should know the address, but I don't.

It's short notice, but if August 2 isn't good for seeing the courtroom at McNair, I can send you a number or email for Leah Rubalaca, who is the one who coordinates getting people on base. Considering the distance you have traveled, she might accommodate you.

If you are into Lincoln statues, one of the oldest ones sits in front of what used to be City Hall and was also the courthouse where John Surratt's trial was held. It has been restored lately and I think is the Court of Appeals. It's not far from Capitol Hill (and again, I know how to get there, but not the address!). Across the street is the only monument to a Confederate general in the city. It honors Albert Pike, but not for his war efforts. It has something to do with his service to the Masonic Order.

The Great Reading Room of the Library of Congress is a sight to behold architecturally. Security is tight, but it's worth the try. And close to the West Front of the Capitol is an absolutely magnificent sculpture to Gen Grant. It's huge and encompasses the war theme. Can't remember the sculptor's name, but he incorporated his own image into the work.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it.

You probably can't afford to stay there or eat there, but stroll into the lobby of Willard's Hotel and down Peacock Alley - which is the main hall from the front to the back doors. I haven't seen it lately, but it used to be very impressive. The Newseum now sits where Booth's haunt, the National Hotel, stood. Great museum, but it takes hours to go through and the admission is quite high.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Trip to D.C. - help, please! - Angela - 07-30-2014, 05:20 PM
RE: Trip to D.C. - help, please! - BettyO - 07-30-2014, 06:00 PM
RE: Trip to D.C. - help, please! - L Verge - 07-30-2014 06:21 PM
RE: Trip to D.C. - help, please! - BettyO - 07-30-2014, 06:28 PM
RE: Trip to D.C. - help, please! - Angela - 07-31-2014, 02:12 AM
RE: Trip to D.C. - help, please! - BettyO - 07-31-2014, 05:55 AM
RE: Trip to D.C. - help, please! - Angela - 07-31-2014, 03:43 PM
RE: Trip to D.C. - help, please! - L Verge - 07-31-2014, 09:50 AM
RE: Trip to D.C. - help, please! - L Verge - 07-31-2014, 11:48 AM