Lincoln's Herndon by David Herbert Donald
06-26-2014, 05:41 AM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2014 09:55 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Lincoln's Herndon by David Herbert Donald
Toia, just to add (referring to the Rutledge thread) as this book is on A. L.'s (male) friendships, he doesn't go into depth to explain why he thought intimacy with Mary was increasing towards the end of their marriage (but I could imagine some reasons, to me it makes sense).

D. Donald IMO also wrote quite convincing on why Herndon embellished the Ruthedge and some other legends, and also that he was always somewhat insecure with women and with men as "buddies" just felt more convenient. (I think it was in that book that) he explains features of men's friendships and interaction in the 19th century some of which are quite different from today's.

(I can't remember the minutia of pre-Civil War politics, but in any case I didn't get bored anywhere. But everyone has, of course, different likes and dislikes.) One book by Donald I like very much, too, is "Lincoln Reconsidered", an essay collection (quite old little book, but good IMO).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln's Herndon by David Herbert Donald - Eva Elisabeth - 06-26-2014 05:41 AM