"The Conspirators", by General Lew Wallace
06-23-2014, 12:30 PM
RE: "The Conspirators", by General Lew Wallace
Quote:It is interesting that Powell is the focal point and standing above the rest. Is this possibly because Powell was somewhat redeemed in the eyes of the artist? Or at least more so than the others.

If I recall, by the end of the whole trial, etc. Powell had more or less admitted his crime, in fact regretted his role/participation and accepted the punishment for what he did. Am I accurate in that? Betty maybe you could weigh in again in this.

I think that Powell, being a soldier, was more or less "admired" if you will, by some of the prison staff (i.e. Christian Rath, Hartranft, Colonel William Doster, his attorney and Wallace perhaps), for his dignity and military bearing, both on trial and on the gallows. This may account for Wallace's position on placing Powell at the center or apex. It is a striking portrait and most certainly one's eyes are drawn directly to Powell rather than to the others who, possibly in Wallace's eyes were somewhat "beneath" Powell both in dignity, bearing and/or breeding. Don't forget that Powell was 2nd cousin to General John Brown Gordon of Georgia.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "The Conspirators", by General Lew Wallace - BettyO - 06-23-2014 12:30 PM