"The Conspirators", by General Lew Wallace
06-22-2014, 06:13 PM (This post was last modified: 06-22-2014 06:19 PM by BettyO.)
RE: "The Conspirators", by General Lew Wallace
Quote:Although it is a little difficult to figure out who is who, there is one person conspicuously missing and another person added.

I've always wondered about Wallace's composition and thought it rather odd that he uses Lew Powell as the pinnacle focal point of the painting rather than Booth. Unless it's to show that Booth was the basis or "corner stone" of the conspiracy. Still, Powell is the figure one's eye is immediately drawn to. The composition actually forms a pyramid - with Booth, Mudd and Surratt anchored at the base while Powell forms the apex and Spangler is isolated at the far base corner. Conspicuously missing is Mrs. Surratt - with the person "added" being son John Surratt.

I'd LOVE to see this painting in person - and think that they are really missing out in not having a poster/print for sale based on this piece of artwork. It would certainly have a place in my study!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "The Conspirators", by General Lew Wallace - BettyO - 06-22-2014 06:13 PM