Abraham Lincoln and the Eighth Judicial Circuit
06-14-2014, 02:36 PM
Abraham Lincoln and the Eighth Judicial Circuit
For many years Lincoln rode the Eighth Judicial Circuit in Illinois. According to historian Mark Neely this took roughly 11 weeks in the spring and another 11 weeks in the fall. This means Lincoln was away from home about 22 weeks of the year. He traveled with a judge and other lawyers, and cases were tried in 14 different counties. The group would travel by horse or buggy.

David Davis, who traveled with the group was interviewed by William Herndon. Davis said:

"In my opinion I think Mr Lincoln was happy — as happy as he could be, when on this Circuit — and happy no other place. This was his place of Enjoyment. As a general rule when all the lawyers of a Saturday Evening would go home and see their families & friends at home Lincoln would refuse to go home — . It seemed to me that L was not domestically happy."

Herndon, himself, wrote, "On Saturdays the court and attorneys, if within reasonable distance, would usually start for their homes. Some went for a fresh supply of clothing, but the greater number went simply to spend a day of rest with their families. The only exception was Lincoln, who usually spent his Sundays with the loungers at the country tavern, and only went home at the end of the circuit or term of court."

Historian William Gienapp, writing in Abraham Lincoln and Civil War America: A Biography, says "Being left alone on the weekends in distant towns gave him the solitude he craved."

Personally I am puzzled why Lincoln was apparently the only one in the group not to visit his family during breaks on the circuit. I have always felt he loved his wife and boys dearly, and I think 11 weeks is a long time to be away. To me it makes sense to visit his family when possible.

Does this surprise anyone else? Does anyone have an explanation for Lincoln not coming home to see his wife and children? Many thanks for any input on helping me understand something I do not understand.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Abraham Lincoln and the Eighth Judicial Circuit - RJNorton - 06-14-2014 02:36 PM