More on Mrs. Lincoln's [non] faux pas
06-13-2014, 10:30 AM
RE: More on Mrs. Lincoln's [non] faux pas
(06-13-2014 09:55 AM)L Verge Wrote:  Thank you for finding that and posting it, Roger, because I was reminded of this sketch when I made my comments about whether or not Lincoln observed mourning.

As for expecting newspaper reporters to do background checks for information (especially on something as trivial as social customs of several generations before) at any time in the late-1800s through today, is asking a lot. Welcome to the world of yellow press for heaven's sake!

I believe that our "discussions" on this subject with Mr. Lockmiller could go on ad nauseam. It is obvious that I think Mary Lincoln (as quirky as she might have been) has received unfair treatment over the years by authors -- but especially harsh treatment by Burlingame, whom David sees as a giant in the field. Personally, I feel that it is time for Mary to be honestly and fairly treated by historians who do not bring their personal feelings and experiences into the game.

Quite so Laurie, and she has been. I appreciate Stephen Oates, Jean Baker, David Herbert Donald, Doris Kearns Goodwin, Catherine Clinton, Kenneth J. Winkle...only a handful who not only have brought out the familiar laundry list of the transgressions of MTL, but the many things that were good about her and the Lincoln marriage.

Burlingame might be a "giant in the field" but I simply do not take him seriously on the subject of Mary Lincoln or her marriage. If I believed in reincarnation I'd start referring to him as Prof. Herndon!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: More on Mrs. Lincoln's [non] faux pas - LincolnToddFan - 06-13-2014 10:30 AM