More on Mrs. Lincoln's [non] faux pas
06-13-2014, 12:03 AM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2014 12:15 AM by David Lockmiller.)
RE: More on Mrs. Lincoln's [non] faux pas
(06-12-2014 08:10 PM)Gene C Wrote:  
(06-12-2014 05:24 PM)David Lockmiller Wrote:  The cited source references used by Professor Burlingame were: Clipping from the New York, Commercial Gazette, 9 Jan. 1887, J. G. Randall Papers, Library of Congress; Washington correspondence by Vidette, 11 Dec. 1861, New York Commercial Advertiser, 13 Dec. 1861; reminiscences of John Palmer Usher, unidentified clipping, Otto Eisenschiml Papers, University of Iowa.

David, thanks for citing the sources.
When they are right, it's good to share the credit
When they're wrong, you get to blame somebody else Smile

Good point! Laurie has said she has six sources that say that Mary wearing Lilac was not a breach of funeral etiquette at Colonel Baker's funeral. Only two of Mary's fellow mourners complained directly to Mary that this was a breach of funeral etiquette. Six to two. Does this mean Mary's two critics were wrong? I don't think so. What do you think?

And, I wonder why the two New York newspapers reporting the story twenty-six years apart did not check (presumably) with funeral etiquette experts before printing the same story.

(06-12-2014 05:52 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I am saying that Mrs. Lincoln was not a blood relative of Baker and therefore was not bound to dress all in black. I am also insinuating that Prof. Burlingame picks and chooses his historical citations in reference to the First Lady in order to address his personal opinions. Given the 1887 citation, the distant date from the occasion makes it questionable as does the word "reminiscences" in describing Mr. Usher's citation - and to see that it came through the Eisenschiml Papers makes me even more suspicious.

And Gene, you are absolutely correct in assuming that someone of Mrs. Lincoln's social standing (from childhood on) would know proper etiquette. Her weakest time on the social scene would have been her early years of marriage to a "prairie lawyer." BTW: Has anyone researched how long Mr. Lincoln remained in mourning for his friend? Did he wear an armband or rosette in remembrance for any extended period - or at all? If so, the professor should have noted that in his bio to reinforce his ideas of the compassionate Abraham Lincoln.

Also, I don't think that the professor noted whether President Lincoln was wearing black at the funeral. Maybe Professor Burlingame should devote a whole book to the funeral of Colonel Baker.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: More on Mrs. Lincoln's [non] faux pas - David Lockmiller - 06-13-2014 12:03 AM