Mary Todd Lincoln's faux pas (plural), worse, and much worse
07-04-2014, 07:55 PM
RE: Mary Todd Lincoln's faux pas (plural), worse, and much worse
In his great book, Worst Seat in the House, author Caleb Stephens has reprinted a letter that Clara sent to a friend from Washington on April 29:

The letter is addressed to "My Dear M." and the first paragraph is a remembrance of being with the Lincolns on many occasions and how they enjoyed jaunts to the theater and opera - especially to hear Forrest, Booth, Hackett, "and such actors when playing in Washington." Clara also said they enjoyed drives and that those and the receptions at the White House were the only amusements in which they could indulge because most of the time they were surrounded by crowds.

The next paragraph is significant to our concerns here. "The night before the murder was that of the general illumination here, and they drove all through the streets to see it; a less calculating villain might have taken that opportunity for his crime, or the night before, when the White House alone was brilliantly illuminated and the figure of the President stood out in full relief to the immense crowd below who stood in the darkness to listen to his speech. He spoke from the center window of the Executive Mansion. I had been invited to pass the evening there, and stood at the window of an adjoining room with Mrs. Lincoln watching the crowd below as they listened and cheered. Of course, Booth was there, watching his chance. I wonder that he did not choose that occasion, but probably knew a better opportunity would be offered. After the speech was over we went into Mr. Lincoln's room; he was lying on the sofa, quite exhausted; but he talked of the events of the past fortnight, of his visit to Richmond, of the enthusiasm everywhere felt through the country; and Mrs. Lincoln declared the past few days to have been the happiest of her life. Their prospects indeed seemed fair - peace dawning upon our land and four years of a happy and honored rule before one of the gentlest, best, and loveliest men I ever knew. I never saw him out of temper, the kindest husband, the tenderest father, the truest friend, as well as the wisest statesman...."

My thoughts? I don't see a gaggle of giggling gooses at the window disturbing either the President or the crowds (notice that Clara only mentions herself and Mrs. Lincoln, but we can surmise that Mrs. Keckly might have been there also). It seems that the crowds heard enough of the speech unimpeded in order to voice their approval with cheers - or curse him and decide to kill him as Booth did. If those gaggle of gooses had irritated the President during his speech, I doubt (in his "exhausted" state) that he would have lounged and discussed current events with those same geese.

I agree with Eva that some snippet who did not care for the First Lady later wrote the disparaging remark and embellished upon what was a normal reaction to the happiness and glee that was all around everyone that night in D.C. Unfortunately, other authors have picked up on it and spread their own disgruntled opinions of Mrs. Lincoln. Cheap shot, in my estimation,

P.S. Several months ago, we were discussing whether or not the Lincolns picked up Clara and Henry before heading to the theater, or whether the couple came to the White House. In this same letter, Clara states that "We four composed the party that evening. They [the Lincolns] drove to our door in the gayest spirits..." Evidently, protocol was not as strict - or the Lincolns not as staid - as what we would expect today.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mary Todd Lincoln's faux pas - Gene C - 06-12-2014, 10:32 AM
RE: Mary Todd Lincoln's faux pas (plural), worse, and much worse - L Verge - 07-04-2014 07:55 PM