Mary Todd Lincoln's faux pas (plural), worse, and much worse
06-18-2014, 07:08 AM
RE: Mary Todd Lincoln's faux pas (plural), worse, and much worse
(06-14-2014 06:26 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Regarding A. L. appreciating Mary's support for his career, Jean Baker writes that Henry Whitney "recounted a similar incident in which Lincoln used the words of Macbeth...to acknowledge 'my dearest partner of greatness.'" (Pp.147-148, paperback ed.) I would love to learn the entire quote/account, but there's no footnote nor can I find it via Google. Does anyone know?

Hi Eva. I have looked and looked for this, but so far I cannot find the original source. I will keep trying, though.

In searching I came across a reference to an article by Dr. Stacy A. Cordery. It's called My Dearest Partner of Greatness': Mary Todd Lincoln as First Lady, Lincoln Society, Monmouth, April 1996. However, I was unable to find the article online.

Henry Wilson, a senator from Massachusetts, reported that in 1860 Lincoln visited the office of Wilson's literary journal, "The Chicago Record," and noted with pleasure the busts of Shakespeare and Burns. Lincoln said, "They are my two favorite authors, and I must manage to see their birthplaces someday, if I can contrive to cross the Atlantic."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mary Todd Lincoln's faux pas - Gene C - 06-12-2014, 10:32 AM
RE: Mary Todd Lincoln's faux pas (plural), worse, and much worse - RJNorton - 06-18-2014 07:08 AM