Mary Todd Lincoln's faux pas (plural), worse, and much worse
06-17-2014, 05:38 PM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2014 04:33 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Mary Todd Lincoln's faux pas (plural), worse, and much worse
David, my last attempt to understand your overall point and issue - not to convince you (I'm aware you are firm in your beliefs), but as I consider any additional "Mary bashing" where it is unprovable or unrightful (as she was more than sufficiently bashed for the mistakes she indeed made and difficulties she indeed caused) unjust and inappropriate, and not to react some sort of silent but public agreement. Though all this became quite tiresome and at times absurd.
(06-16-2014 10:50 PM)David Lockmiller Wrote:  Clara Harris' letter stated that "the company (presumably, including a "gay party of ladies") went into Lincoln's room."
...when coming back from the WH tour, entering after the speech was finished and he resting from his "oratorical efforts".

(1.) How does this account diverge from the Marquis' account which begins somewhat later in that room and describes how he, Clara, and Mrs. Lincoln left for the parlor??? The Marquis' account follows Clara's above statement on the timeline. How does this diverge (as you claim in post #90)?
(I read it as that the complete trio left, but it doesn't make any difference in that it doesn't interfer with Clara's account above.)

More important - I don't understand (2.) how does all this prove your original accusation that DURING the speech [thus before Mary, Clara and whatever "company" left for the WH tour, thus before they came back to Lincoln, who was then resting from his "oratorical efforts" (finished speech), thus way before the trio left for the parlor (or joined there after leaving seperately, as you think)] Mary Lincoln & co. were "chatting so loudly that they nearly drowned out the president"?

And, if all this does in whatever subtle "thinking outside the box" way prove that the ladies chattered during the speech I agree with Laurie and A. Lincoln himself who "realized that no disrespect was meant", but that it just expressed understandable as well as commonly shared joy and high spirits after the fall of Richmond and Lee's surrender, and the war being about to close.

But the most important - (3.) how does all this allow you to conclude A. L. thought not having a well-deserved partner in marriage? (What you consider well-deserved, I'm afraid, does not matter here.)
In the very end we arrived once more where we ended after discussing all your other issues - we can't prove anything about what was in A. L.'s mind and soul regarding Mary and his marriage.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mary Todd Lincoln's faux pas - Gene C - 06-12-2014, 10:32 AM
RE: Mary Todd Lincoln's faux pas (plural), worse, and much worse - Eva Elisabeth - 06-17-2014 05:38 PM