Treatment of sickness in pioneer days
05-29-2014, 10:11 AM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2014 12:58 PM by LincolnMan.)
RE: Treatment of sickness in pioneer days
I enjoy the book very much too, including the illustrations. If I may quote another few lines from a book addressing pioneer treatment and prevention of ills, I found this passage from The Old Northwest Pioneer Period 1815- 1840 by R. Carlyle Buley (Vol. 1, page 304):

"The lowly tomato rapidly rose from its position as a doubtful comestible to that of a sort of dietary and medicinal panacea. Doctors began to promote it vigorously. Dr. Bennett, Professor of Midwifery, Hygiene, and Acclimatement at the Medical College of Lake Erie, was no more enthusiastic than many others when he stated that the tomato was one of the most powerful deobstruents of the materia medica, and in certain liver affections probably the most effective and least harmful agent known. It would prevent bilious attacks, serve as a remedy for dyspepsia, was successful in treating diarrhea, and would render one less liable to cholera. It should be eaten daily, raw or cooked."

Wow, the "lowly tomato"- who knew?!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Treatment of sickness in pioneer days - LincolnMan - 05-29-2014 10:11 AM