What makes a people a people?
05-16-2014, 03:26 AM (This post was last modified: 05-16-2014 07:25 AM by My Name Is Kate.)
RE: What makes a people a people?
(05-13-2014 11:09 AM)Wild Bill Wrote:  I have always seen our Civil War as a Yankee revolt against the Founding Fathers, not a War of Southern Rebellion. So maybe I am not the right guy to ask about this.
I agree, and I learned that from reading your book, "Sic Semper Tyrannis". The Yankees did not like the political advantage that the concession to slavery in the Constitution gave to the South, with the added 3/5 of a vote per slave awarded to landowning slaveholders. But I'm wondering why the Northerners didn't foresee that happening, or did they? No wonder some of the slaveholders (including Thomas Jefferson) inbred with slaves. The more slaves, the better. I'm also wondering where Jefferson stood with regard to endorsing slavery in the Constitution, since he owned slaves. Apparently he saw the Missouri Compromise as the death knell of the Union. http://www.loc.gov/rr/program/bib/ourdocs/Missouri.html Why did he feel that way?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What makes a people a people? - My Name Is Kate - 05-16-2014 03:26 AM
RE: What makes a people a people? - HerbS - 05-14-2014, 10:03 AM
RE: What makes a people a people? - HerbS - 05-14-2014, 03:02 PM