Footnotes, endnotes or online notes?
03-29-2014, 03:43 PM
RE: Footnotes, endnotes or online notes?
My thoughts, for the most part, echo what others have said.

I will say that footnotes have fallen a little out of favor with me. Not conceptually, but in execution and practicality in a few recent works I have read. In one of them, the footnotes were SO extensive that in certain sections, they comprised over 75% of the text on the page. Although the information was great and much appreciated, it really disrupted the narrative flow in the main body. And really, who can argue with John Barrymore’s assessment?! – Thanks Thomas Thorne!

I was interested to see that some had written with or come across chapter notes. I have seen those regularly in textbooks in my professional field, but not in the type of historical works I typically read. I think that format sort of marries footnotes with endnotes. Closer to the point of reference, don’t disrupt the narrative flow and are easier to find than endnotes are at times. I also like the idea of specific pages being referenced in source citation. Saves a lot of time when going back to review source material.

While online are better than nothing, I can’t say I care for them overall. I think perhaps there is potential there if instead of replacing printed notes, online notes could be used to supplement. I know Tom Bogar said that before publication he was asked to cut something like 30% of the content in his original manuscript for Backstage at the Lincoln Assassination. I imagine that happens quite often. It would be great if somehow the additional text along with references/notes for those works could be made available for those who are really interested (like me!).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Footnotes, endnotes or online notes? - STS Lincolnite - 03-29-2014 03:43 PM