Lincoln writing the Gettysburg Address on the train.
07-31-2012, 05:06 AM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2012 07:02 AM by RJNorton.)
RE: Lincoln writing the Gettysburg Address on the train.
There is another story about Harriet Beecher Stowe that I have wondered about. Upon meeting her, Lincoln is supposed to have said, "So, this is the little lady who started this great war." The only source I know of for this alleged interchange between Lincoln and Stowe is Mrs. Stowe's word (which over the years became part of Stowe family lore). If the meeting happened as Mrs. Stowe said it did, it was probably in November, 1862, when she visited Washington. However, there is no independent, 100%-type source that I can locate that indicates the two ever met (other than, of course, Mrs. Stowe's word). Many historians "accept" the story, but "Lincoln Day By Day" which I feel is the most authoritative source of Lincoln's daily activities, does not list any meeting of the two. I have wondered if the "So, this is the little lady who started this great war" story is (1) true or (2) falls into the same category as Lincoln writing the Gettysburg Address on the train.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln writing the Gettysburg Address on the train. - RJNorton - 07-31-2012 05:06 AM