Christmas with the Lincoln family in Springfield
12-12-2013, 06:30 AM
RE: Christmas with the Lincoln family in Springfield
(12-10-2013 02:27 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I just realized that the eight yards of muslin purchased was purple in color. That was Mrs. Lincoln's favorite color, so I bet she was having a new dress made. I believe that muslin was of better quality (more silk-like) then than it is now. This could well be Mary Lincoln's shopping list.

Laurie, I have been thinking about your post and a thought came to mind. These purchases were made roughly halfway between Lincoln's election in November and the family's departure for Washington in February. Possibly the purchases actually had nothing to do with Christmas and were simply part of Mary's program of purchasing items to prepare the Lincolns for becoming the First Family?

But maybe my speculation is totally wrong. I know Mary was concerned with Abraham's appearance. During the first part of the inaugural train trip, Lincoln had worn what was described as a terribly bad hat and a very thin, old overcoat. By the time the train reached Utica, New York, Mary had seen enough. She had observed the shabbiness of her husband compared to the well-groomed politicians they had met along the way. Mary asked William Johnson, Lincoln's valet, to get her husband a better looking overcoat and new hat. This was accomplished, and Lincoln looked much better.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Christmas with the Lincoln family in Springfield - RJNorton - 12-12-2013 06:30 AM