Backstage at the Lincoln Assassination
02-04-2014, 11:06 AM
RE: Backstage at the Lincoln Assassination
(02-04-2014 10:29 AM)L Verge Wrote:  Or were they normal people committed to a cause? Hundreds of thousands of other Americans on both sides went to war to protect their beliefs, and they knew that it would mean that they had to kill in order to do that. Many soldiers killed far more people than Booth did (or intended to do). What does that say of them?

Because Lincoln was assassinated during a war and JFK was assassinated during "peacetime", do you think this is the reason that the JFK assassination seems to get more attention? Is it more acceptable to conspire and murder a President when the country is split in two, and civil war is raging? I wonder what the country's reaction would have been had Lincoln been killed during one of his battlefield visits. While The JFK story goes into every detail of the events surrounding his murder the Lincoln story is usually quickly covered. I know there is much more now, about the details of the Lincoln story and much more to come with the anniversary coming, but as a child and teen I knew much more about Kennedy. Maybe it simply had to do with Zapruder and technology in the press.
Sorry to get off topic of the book, but Laurie's last post had me thinking, reminding me that there was still a war going on. Even after Lee surrendered and that the non military citizenry Committed to the war were in despair.

I am really enjoying your book Tom.

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Backstage at the Lincoln Assassination - brtmchl - 02-04-2014 11:06 AM
RE: Backstage at the Lincoln Assassination - Hess1865 - 10-25-2013, 09:59 PM
RE: Backstage at the Lincoln Assassination - Hess1865 - 11-21-2013, 09:24 PM
Congrats again - Matt Macoubrie - 11-27-2013, 05:59 PM
Backstage at the Lincoln Assassination - Rhatkinson - 10-08-2014, 03:38 PM