Restoration of the Lincoln "Courting Couch"
02-18-2014, 07:33 PM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2014 07:36 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Restoration of the Lincoln "Courting Couch"
I was surprised to learn Abraham Lincoln had an active "interest" in cake (and food). This is what I mostly read before:

- "Abe was a moderate Eater and I now have no remembrance of his Special dish: he Sat down and ate what was set before him, making non complaint: he seemed Careless about this. I cooked his meals for nearly 15 years." (Sarah Bush Lincoln)

- "Well - in the absence of anything to Eat I will jump into this Cabbage." (Lincoln during the circuit, according to Judge David Davis)

- Mr. Lincoln was "an incompetent judge" of food. "He could not discern between well and ill-cooked and served food." (Attorney Henry C. Whitney)

- In Washington, President "Lincoln ate heartily but not to excess; he was particularly fond of certain things, especially apples, and Mrs. Lincoln always had a sufficiency of this fruit chosen carefully and ready at hand." (William H. Crook)

- "Mr. Lincoln was a great eater of apples. He said to me once that a man should eat and drink only that which is conducive to his own health. 'Apples,' he said, 'agree with me, 'and he added, 'a large per cent of professional men abuse their stomachs by imprudence in drinking and eating, and in that way health in is injured and ruined and life is shortened." (Springfield attorney Charles S. Zane)

- According to John Hay for breakfast at the White House, A. Lincoln would have an egg, a piece of toast and coffee for breakfast. Lunch consisted of "a biscuit, a glass of milk in winter, some fruit or grapes in summer."

- According to Francis B. Carpenter, once when some visitors were informed that the President was eating dinner, they said they would call at another time. They were told instead to wait. "In a few minutes the President walked into the room, with a kindly salutation, and a request that the friends would take seats. The doctor expressed his regret that their visit was so ill-timed, and that his Excellency was disturbed while at dinner. 'Oh! No consequence at all,' said Mr. Lincoln, good-naturedly. 'Mrs. Lincoln is absent at present, and when she is away, I generally 'browse' around."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Restoration of the Lincoln "Courting Couch" - Eva Elisabeth - 02-18-2014 07:33 PM