My "150th Anniversary of the Gettysburg Address"
12-05-2013, 09:37 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2013 09:39 PM by irshgrl500.)
RE: My "150th Anniversary of the Gettysburg Address"
(12-05-2013 02:43 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Going way back and beginning at post #9 ....

Hate to say I told you so, (who am I kidding, I relish in it) but......

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/05/tea...s-to-read/

The scary news is test scores, prior to developing the common code standards, test scores and class curriculum were much worse, particularly in rural areas of states, and inner city areas, which were scarce in resources, and lacking in funds, and vastly over crowded, respectively. The common core and No Child Left Behind was developed to address some of the vast oversights, and needs that these types of areas or situations were facing. Often, in inner city areas, where Commercial Property, in taxes brought next to nothing to the schools and 70-90% of the residents are living below the poverty line, you just don't have the funds to run a mini daycare, let alone an entire school district, which can't afford to hire teachers, even at the minimal pay. And what sort of teacher wants to go to this inner city area, risk their life, for a minimal amount of pay? Or, after the Common Core Standards were developed, LA Unified offered their substitutes a $25 (a day-WOW) stipend in pay for accepting assignments in higher risk areas. Well, this does not mean that it is any easier to help the kids in the high risk areas.
When I substituted in Math, grades 9-12, in say East Los Angeles, the Algebra I students were in grades 10-12, and were at the same level of understanding that the grade 8 students were in a much better part of Los Angeles. The Common Core mandated a set of standards, which could be met, on a standard level, according to age or grade level.
Also, this article is not realistic, as the teachers who were asked for their input, dictated their answers, as if the only curriculum were available, were the common core standards, otherwise their hands were tied. THAT'S IDIOTIC! The Common Core is a minimal requirement, and adjustments can always be made to help those students meet the minimal requirements. Seriously, if these teachers have so little innovation and such a myopic approach to the class curriculum, they need to find another profession.

[font=Verdana][/font]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: My "150th Anniversary of the Gettysburg Address" - irshgrl500 - 12-05-2013 09:37 PM