Did Lincoln Regret Marrying Mary?
12-16-2013, 11:43 AM
RE: Did Lincoln Regret Marrying Mary?
I mentioned in a previous post that I thought there was some doubt about (at least some of) Margaret Ryan's reminiscences. Here are Jesse Weik's notes from an interview with her on October 27, 1886. Notice she says she met Lincoln the day he was assassinated. I know of no evidence of that.

Margaret Ryan — 47 year. Lived at Lincoln House till Feby 1860 — Mrs L was cranky — told M before L. was nominated that she would go to the White House yet. L hired M. and told her he would pay M. 75c More than Ms L. to stay there — not to fuss with Mrs. L. often would put hand on Ms — head and tell her to Keep courage. Ms L would whip Bob a good deal. She was half crazy — black women Jane Jenkins colored woman did not live there — in next block. M went to Washington — saw L at White House — he gave her a pass back home — told her to call next day and get some money &c for clothes for her children — but that night he was assassinated — while in Sp L. went to Taylorville hired M. to stay while his wife was confined — gave birth to boy. Dr Wallace attended her. Ms L. often struck other girls but never struck M. — When L. was leaving for Taylorville his wife ran him out half dressed — as she followed him with broom — he told to Meg not to get scared — that Ms L. would get over it — M had to go and bring him out his clothes — he dressed and went up town through woodhouse & alley — when he returned in evening would come in through kitchen and find out from M. if ML. was all right before going in front of house — At another time saw Mrs L. strike L. on head with piece of wood while reading paper in South Parlor — cut his nose — lawyers saw his face in Court next day but asked no questions
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Did Lincoln Regret Marrying Mary? - Gene C - 10-07-2013, 11:16 AM
RE: Did Lincoln Regret Marrying Mary? - RJNorton - 12-16-2013 11:43 AM