Did Lincoln Regret Marrying Mary?
11-14-2013, 12:42 PM (This post was last modified: 11-14-2013 01:00 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Did Lincoln Regret Marrying Mary?
(11-14-2013 10:09 AM)L Verge Wrote:  Bless you, Eva, for making that post!

All I would add is that, if we have to be judgmental and try to analyze the Lincolns' personal lives over 150 years ago, let's also ask if Mary ever regretted marrying Abe during the long periods when she was left to hold down the fort while he rode circuit, or make finances work on a lower income than what she was accustomed to, or to suffer with him during his bouts with depression, or to share him with the country during its worst time.

Marriage requires driving on a two-way street. I believe that the Lincolns and the people of their era understood this more than many of us do today and made efforts to make it through the tough times and accept personal flaws.
Thanks Gene and Laurie! Laurie, THIS was indeed in my mind, too!! Thanks for adding it. A. Lincoln just gave up bachelor life, Mary gave up a lot more regarding social status and lifestyle. I think she always tried to do her very best, as it was possible due to her inherited disposition, her skills and abilities and the external circumstances. IMO this was and is not adequately appreciated, neither at her time nor nowadays.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Did Lincoln Regret Marrying Mary? - Gene C - 10-07-2013, 11:16 AM
RE: Did Lincoln Regret Marrying Mary? - Eva Elisabeth - 11-14-2013 12:42 PM