AN INTERVIEW WITH JEFFERSON DAVIS
08-26-2013, 06:55 PM
RE: AN INTERVIEW WITH JEFFERSON DAVIS
I think we have to give consideration to the fact that Davis specifically was clinging to his moral principles of upholding the values of the Confederacy to the end. Booth had written, "Right or wrong, God judge me." However, I think that many in the "Lost Cause" would have accepted that as their motto too.

As usual, our tendency is to judge them by what we now know (and our prejudices) - not by the principles that they had grown up with and put on the line. Whether some of us want to accept it or not, many in the Confederacy had strong backgrounds in government, military, and religion. How many of us today look at George Washington and his troops at Valley Forge and think, "They were worn out and had nothing left to gain. They should have just hung it up at that point." It's human nature to hope for a turn of events or a miracle.

P.S. I also heartily agree with Jerry's closing sentence above about Davis hoping to turn opinion against Lincoln at election time. A politician and a military man hoping that all things are possible.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: AN INTERVIEW WITH JEFFERSON DAVIS - L Verge - 08-26-2013 06:55 PM
RE: AN INTERVIEW WITH JEFFERSON DAVIS - Hess1865 - 08-30-2013, 10:19 PM