In Mary's personal letters....
08-11-2014, 02:23 PM
RE: In Mary's personal letters....
When I wrote my script for LINCOLN LETTERS, I used this quote from Lincoln:

"When my wife had her first baby, the doctor from time to time reported to me that everything was going on as well as could be expected under the circumstances. That satisfied me that he was doing his best, but still I felt anxious to hear the first squall. It came at last, and I felt mightily relieved."

Since this is a play, I did not document the text -- but I am hopeful someone on this forum can find it quickly. It does give the impression that Lincoln was downstairs, and probably walking the floors. He also lets us know there was a doctor present, not a mid-wife.

Recently, an article was published discussing a purchase of pennyroyal made by the Lincoln family. Pennyroyal had many uses including birth control and rat control. By the 1830, birth control was used by family who knew about it, desired it, and could afford it. I have always thought that the Lincoln's used some form of birth control. Other than Robert, the births seem to have been planned ones. Both Lincoln and Mary had lost someone dear to them in childbirth and did not want their children growing up motherless.

Plus, think of the social outcome of Lincoln's life if Mary had lost her life giving birth to a child. Her family in Springfield were not fond of Lincoln in the beginning and thought him to be beneath them on a different social plane. If Mary had died, they would never have forgiven him.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
In Mary's personal letters.... - eperon - 08-20-2013, 07:55 AM
RE: In Mary's personal letters.... - Donna McCreary - 08-11-2014 02:23 PM
RE: In Mary's personal letters.... - Anita - 09-24-2017, 05:35 PM