In Mary's personal letters....
08-04-2014, 01:50 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2014 04:58 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: In Mary's personal letters....
(08-04-2014 12:24 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  At this point this seems speculative to me, not fact. I do not see sufficient evidence in Mary's writings to conclude this.
I absolutely agree on this, and this goes for all I've so far read of Tripp's propositions.

E.g. he takes this Derickson memoir, the "bed sharing" and Lincoln's seemingly "desire" to be close to Derickson as one paramount "proof" (or argument) - but since Derickson so openly wrote about all this - if there was an intimate relationship, why didn't he write about this, too, or at least indicate it? Bed sharing was common back then, despite this there is nothing "erotic" in Derickson's account. Right the opposite - Derickson himself wondered why Lincoln wanted him so close. Why did he (pretend to) wonder this if he knew the answer - sexual intercourse/relationship? If there was any, he wouldn't have had to wonder, he knew what it was form Also I think in this case he would rather have kept it a secret because he would have expected people to gossip and draw such conclusions. So far I think Derickson was a rather naive guy who frankly told all he knew.

BTW, what you said, Roger, reminds me of Herndon's comment (written in a letter to Lamon) on the claims he (Herndon) himself made of Lincoln's illegitimacy: "The evidence is not conclusive, but men have been hung on less." Yes, sadly.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
In Mary's personal letters.... - eperon - 08-20-2013, 07:55 AM
RE: In Mary's personal letters.... - Eva Elisabeth - 08-04-2014 01:50 PM
RE: In Mary's personal letters.... - Anita - 09-24-2017, 05:35 PM