President Lincoln and the Sioux Indian uprising in Minnesota in 1862
07-27-2014, 10:41 PM
RE: President Lincoln and the Sioux Indian uprising in Minnesota in 1862
Mr. Scott W. Berg, who Gerald mentions as the author of the MHQ article, penned his own book on subject in 2012. The book was entitled 38 Nooses: Lincoln, Little Crow and the beginning of the Frontier's End. My uncle recommended this book to me, it has received strong reviews online and is now available in paperback.

http://www.amazon.com/38-Nooses-Lincoln-...=38+nooses

I confess it is in my "to read" pile but I have not gotten to it yet. In paging through, there was a surname or two that were familiar to me and are likely tangential relations.

I grew up in the upper midwest/great plains and one branch of my family heralds directly from that part of Minnesota. Here is a quote from my great-great grandmother's obituary published in January 1913.

"She experienced and lived through the Indian uprising of 1862. In company with her mother and sisters and neighboring women she fled from the pursuing Indians to New Ulm, then to Mankato and from there to St. Peter, where they took refuge in an old church for fourteen days."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: President Lincoln and the Sioux Indian uprising in Minnesota in 1862 - STS Lincolnite - 07-27-2014 10:41 PM
Lincoln and the Dakotas - L Verge - 08-12-2013, 07:57 PM