President Lincoln and the Sioux Indian uprising in Minnesota in 1862
08-16-2013, 08:14 AM
RE: President Lincoln and the Sioux Indian uprising in Minnesota in 1862
If you look at the way American History has been taught in the public schools over the course of the 20th century, it was generally done in such a way as to inculcate patriotism, especially during the times of massive immigration (to show newcomers the greatness of their adopted country) and during the Cold War (as an object lesson showing the benefits of democracy vs. communism). Personally, it wasn't until i got to college that I discovered there was another side to American history. James Loewen has made a pretty good career out of showing what textbooks have left out.

As for those "savages" it seems obvious that Lincoln must have thought something was wrong with the verdicts or he wouldn't have taken the political risk of commuting the sentences of so many. What Rodney King or Katrina has to do with this dicussion I have no idea, so I won't comment on that.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: President Lincoln and the Sioux Indian uprising in Minnesota in 1862 - Rob Wick - 08-16-2013 08:14 AM
Lincoln and the Dakotas - L Verge - 08-12-2013, 07:57 PM