Exciting New Children's Book On The Way
10-07-2014, 06:58 AM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2014 07:02 AM by brtmchl.)
RE: Exciting New Children's Book On The Way
(10-07-2014 04:59 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Mike, maybe he was also influenced by his educated wife who used punctuation freely - as she liked it...I'm sorry I'm very weak at English punctuation (I comprehend the German rules, but for the English ones I'm not smart enough...). We set commata where the English doesn't, and v.v., and in cases of doubt I rather set them all than skipping any... (the more the merrier - or: a lot helps a lot...)

Despite the punctuation (something easily corrected), I consider this a very good and positive review, Mike!!!
(10-07-2014 12:00 AM)brtmchl Wrote:  ...vibrant graphic novel, With Malice Toward One, instead drilling down to the plain, unadorned facts leading up to the killing.
Person does his homework: The book includes a wealth of historical detail (the title is a play on Lincoln’s second inaugural address in which he refers to “malice toward none” and “charity for all”).

Person’s target audience is young readers. His text is simple and approachable; the drawings are colorful and creative; and the subject matter comes to life under his attentive hand. Each page of paneled illustrations has a complementary page of text summarizing the same facts. Person is careful to offer context and many opportunities for engagement. The back of the volume features a glossary, as well as classroom activities geared toward Civil War history.
This aside, the book offers a lively bridge into history for young readers, making this an exciting introduction to an important milestone in American history.
Great you have added classroom activities! (Would love to know what they look like...)

Thanks Eva. I will send you a PDF soon.

That's a great example Roger. I remember reading a few speeches of Lincoln's where I remember thinking, Is this all one sentence?

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Exciting New Children's Book On The Way - Hess1865 - 08-23-2013, 08:15 PM
RE: Exciting New Children's Book On The Way - brtmchl - 10-07-2014 06:58 AM