Lincoln Assassination Class
07-18-2013, 04:28 PM
RE: Lincoln Assassination Class
(07-18-2013 12:29 PM)Matt Macoubrie Wrote:  The greatest thing about history, and especially a suubject like the Lincoln Assassination is that we as historians are the ones who tell the story. I love when people learn tid-bits of history and say "Gee . . . I didn't know that?" One of the main reasons why I personally have strived to become more knowledgable on the Lincoln Assassination and history in general. I can tell you a God honest story that literally almost broke my heart. So this was two years ago, and it was the first time that I was going to Ford's Theatre, and I was so excited, and just behind me, a woman was telling her kids about that night. She said that Lincoln was shot in the back and died that night. Her son was saying . . . but I thought he was shot in the back of the head. The little boy's mom then said, No, he was shot in the back, that is why there is blood on the back of Lincoln's coat. I then turned around, stared down this woman and said "Your son is right, he was shot in the back of the head, and also, Lincoln died the next morning, so stop telling your kids wrong things and maybe research a little before coming to historical places so that you don't look ignorant." That single story is why I have gotten more interested in history, because without my knowledge to present to these people, who is going to? Education is a top priorety for me, and I want every child to be as intelligent as I hope I can be. I want them to strive to higher things in life than they could ever imagine.

Matt, you would be amazed at the comments, statements, etc. one hears from guests at Ford's. Even after going through the exhibits, you still have people that didn't get one single thing out of it, and after the presentation, they still think Booth acted alone. I'm sure Laurie gets the visitor every now and then, that has no idea what they've been doing for the last hour.

Sometimes they are in tour groups, sometimes they are along with friends, and even sometimes they just sort of wander in on their own. All I can say is, I'm glad they're out and about and I hope they walk away know just a little bit more than when they came in. God Bless each and every one of them.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln Assassination Class - Gene C - 07-18-2013, 10:38 AM
RE: Lincoln Assassination Class - L Verge - 07-18-2013, 11:19 AM
RE: Lincoln Assassination Class - Jim Garrett - 07-18-2013 04:28 PM
RE: Lincoln Assassination Class - SSlater - 07-18-2013, 02:15 PM
RE: Lincoln Assassination Class - L Verge - 07-18-2013, 03:02 PM
RE: Lincoln Assassination Class - L Verge - 07-19-2013, 04:21 PM