Kidnapping plot issue that I've not considered
06-01-2013, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2013 05:00 PM by Bill Richter.)
RE: Kidnapping plot issue that I've not considered
According to Civil War maps that accompany the Official Records, one could cross the Eastern Branch of the Potomac (today's Anacostia) at Bladensburg on a couple of turnpike bridges or fords. The Eastern Branch was not deep or wide past the NE DC boundary. These were actually more accessible than Bennings Bridge which came out of the NE corner of DC. The Campbell military hospital and the Old Soldier's Home gave perfect access to the turnpike running to Bladensburg and then north-northeast to Beltsville. But Booth et al would have had to travel northward rather than eastward initially. After crossing the upper branch of the Eastern Branch, the roads to Surrattsville and Southern Maryland and the Potomac were open to any travel. The major difference here was that Bennings Bridge was a more direct route to Surrattsville. The ease by which these roads could be used is why Davy Herold had so many ropes to tie across the roads to trip up pursuing Union Cavalry. Many of these were stored above the kitchen at the Tavern.

Early's worse crossing after the Monocacy was wading Rock Creek, which ran all the way north to Gettysburg. I doubt that Early wanted to do more than scare and/or embarrass Lincoln's government in 1864 much as Stonewall Jackson had done in 1862.

Actually, Early's raid on DC was to provide flank protection to a massive cavalry raid on Point Lookout POW camp where large numbers of Confederate soldiers were held. This never materialized. Early did not have the imagination to carry it out. It was to be commanded by Maryland Brig Gen Bradley Johnson.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Kidnapping plot issue that I've not considered - Rhatkinson - 06-01-2013, 11:02 AM
RE: Kidnapping plot issue that I've not considered - Rhatkinson - 06-01-2013, 11:43 AM
RE: Kidnapping plot issue that I've not considered - Bill Richter - 06-01-2013 04:56 PM