Major Rathbone's accomodation in Hannover
07-03-2013, 07:54 AM
RE: Major Rathbone's accomodation in Hannover
(07-03-2013 05:31 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Caleb, prior to your joining the forum, I suggested the possibility that Rathbone actually caught a glimpse of Booth as he entered the box and headed toward Lincoln. In truth I agree with the other folks who posted that this was unlikely. Rathbone himself said his back was to the door when he heard the discharge of a pistol. Yet, at that moment in time, if Rathbone just happened to be looking somewhat to his left, and Booth entered through Box 8 and not Box 7, I would think Rathbone could have seen movement in the corner of his eye. I am just curious if you have an opinion on this possibility, however remote.

Roger, I'm very much in agreement with you. I detail the specifics in my book to give it some credence, because it is such a diversion from the normal. While, as you mentioned, Rathbone stated his back was to the door and he was watching the play, there are a few other statements that Rathbone encountered Booth at the door, but Booth pushed past Henry to kill Lincoln. The location of Rathbone's seat was parallel with Booth's entry, and as you state any movement could have been noticed. The other important item is that his seat was in the back of the State box. He could barely see the stage. I've read that Mary Todd Lincoln stated this as they sat down. It's been noted that the view from the State box was never really a good view of the plays, and putting the President there was also a way for the audience to see him. So what this means is Rathbone had the worst seat in an already bad spot. To me this makes it even more likely that his attention could have been elsewhere and he would notice Booth enter. Without giving too many more details away, I do agree with you Roger. Like many of the events that night, the facts are up for debate. While Rathbone's statement makes perfect sense, it's also very plausible that he was trying to save face for letting an actor get past him and kill the president.

Also, it looks likes someone posted the press release for my book. I don't want to push it too much on here, but there are some great Lincoln Assassination/Rathbone documents I'm giving away to raise money for book marketing. I've compiled some of the most interesting research and some of the documents I've acquired.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Major Rathbone's accomodation in Hannover - Hess1865 - 06-05-2013, 08:48 PM
RE: Major Rathbone's accomodation in Hannover - calebj123 - 07-03-2013 07:54 AM
RE: Major Rathbone's accomodation in Hannover - Hess1865 - 10-05-2013, 06:18 PM