Major Rathbone's accomodation in Hannover
06-27-2013, 05:20 PM
RE: Major Rathbone's accomodation in Hannover
Hi Eva,
I'm new to this forum, but I came across your cemetery information on the Rathbones and I was hoping I could reference your research in a book I have coming out in November. The book is examination of Henry Rathbone, his life both before and after the assassination. I would love to include your information on the cemetary plot, as I also thought the remains were disposed of. Please let me know if this is okay. Thanks!

Also, in regard to Henry's position as US Consul, my research is similar to that of Chris'. It seems as though the newspapers of the day mixed up Henry with his brother Jared. The reference of Henry in Hanover as a US Consul doesn't show up until later reports of his death. The initial reports of Clara's murder only note that the family was there for Henry's health. Henry attempted to visit the Carlsbad hot springs for their healing properties. Unfortunately, his dyspepsia was most likely a result of his Post Traumatic Stress. He may also have had anxiety and paranoia issues stemming from events even earlier than the assassination.

I hope to solidify the answer to his US consul position next week. The National Archives in College Park has the following document, "Records of the Foreign Service Posts of the Department of State" It lists all posts from 1790-1963. So hopefully I'll find the answer to this question once and for all.

Thanks,
Caleb
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Major Rathbone's accomodation in Hannover - Hess1865 - 06-05-2013, 08:48 PM
RE: Major Rathbone's accomodation in Hannover - calebj123 - 06-27-2013 05:20 PM
RE: Major Rathbone's accomodation in Hannover - Hess1865 - 10-05-2013, 06:18 PM