Major Rathbone's accomodation in Hannover
06-01-2013, 06:16 AM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2013 06:21 AM by Jim Garrett.)
RE: Major Rathbone's accomodation in Hannover
(05-31-2013 01:41 PM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  I wish I knew where this description came from. It appears to me that I cut and pasted it from something else because it is in a font on my computer that I seldom use. Why I didn't include the source, I don't know. I'll just blame senility again.

Roger, I agree that I have seen references to Henry being "fragile" in earlier years, and it probably was in Tom's book. This is strictly a personal (unkind) thought, but I have always thought it strange that Henry and Clara would end up marrying each other after so many years of being nearly the same as siblings -- and I am one who understands that culture was different back then, and I also have several examples in my own family of first cousins marrying first cousins.

I'm in the Roger/Laurie camp. I do believe that it is mentioned in "Henry & Clara" about Henry always being different. We've all known people that we have always thought were more than just a little odd (Heck look at Jim Page). I think Henry was probably always crazy. His money and social status went along way helping him "fit in". He was literally the red headed stepson who married his older stepsister. He wasn't even from West Virginia. Sorry, couldn't pass on that one.

Henry's accomodations in the asylum were suppose to be extraordinary, more like an apartment with a library and separate dining room, per a Washington Post article in April 2009 by Michael Ruane. I wonder if a picture of his accomodations exists.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Major Rathbone's accomodation in Hannover - Jim Garrett - 06-01-2013 06:16 AM
RE: Major Rathbone's accomodation in Hannover - Hess1865 - 06-05-2013, 08:48 PM
RE: Major Rathbone's accomodation in Hannover - Hess1865 - 10-05-2013, 06:18 PM