Jim Getty Carries Forth Lincoln's Legacy
05-19-2013, 06:59 PM
Jim Getty Carries Forth Lincoln's Legacy
How I wish I could have transported most of the posters on this forum to Surrattsville this afternoon to hear James Getty portray Abraham Lincoln. I have known Jim for about twenty years and have heard him present as Mr. Lincoln at least a dozen times, and I am always amazed and enthralled -- even when I know the history.

Surratt House obtained his services today for one of our free, monthly programs designed to help spread American history. This presentation was in commemoration of the 150th Anniversary of the issuing of The Emancipation Proclamation.

As a true historian, however, Jim didn't speak on just the Proclamation; he gave a summation of his life, the highlights thereof, the steps to setting forth and announcing the Proclamation, and then his regrets that he did not live to work through his plans for Reconstruction.

During the Q&A session, he never ceases to amaze me as to how well- read he is on anything Lincoln. He and one gentleman discussed the changes in our financial systems with Lincoln and Chase. Another woman was originally from Washington State, and they conversed about a lighthouse on the Pacific Coast that Lincoln had fought for. Another woman seemed to believe that she was really conversing with Mr. Lincoln and proceeded to chastise him for the treatment of Native Americans. He managed to soothe her ruffled head feathers.

There was one question that threw him, however -- and it was from a Yankee from New Jersey (and no, Joe Beckert wasn't there!). The gentleman asked which county in New Jersey kept their slaves throughout the war. Jim did not know. Y'all can check this out, but the man from New Jersey said that Cape May County, New Jersey, lies south of the Mason Dixon Line and fell under the border state distinction like Maryland and Delaware.

Nearly 70 people were in the audience, and at the end, Jim was asked to recite the Gettysburg Address. It ended with a standing ovation.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Jim Getty Carries Forth Lincoln's Legacy - L Verge - 05-19-2013 06:59 PM