Why Were The Radical Republicans Radical?
05-02-2013, 09:58 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2013 02:27 AM by My Name Is Kate.)
RE: Why Were The Radical Republicans Radical?
(04-30-2013 09:19 PM)Liz Rosenthal Wrote:  The North was ahead of the South not only in manufacturing, but in education, "internal improvements" (which Southerners tended to oppose), upward mobility, immigration, finance and many other things that were vital to a strong, diversified economy.
'Eva Elisabeth Wrote:'Liz, this sounds as if the South - irrespective of slavery - grew increasingly inferior to the North.
So, is industrialization, finance, a strong economy, etc., the measure of superiority/inferiority? If it is, then the Native Americans were practically wiped out because their culture was inferior. Same with Native African culture.

(And no, I'm not comparing apples and oranges.)

If we can talk about the South's culture/economy/etc. (slavery aside) as being inferior to the North's, then why can't we also talk about other, nonwhite cultures as being inferior? That's my point.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why Were The Radical Republicans Radical? - My Name Is Kate - 05-02-2013 09:58 PM