Baptist Alley and preservation
02-14-2013, 04:42 PM
RE: Baptist Alley and preservation
(02-14-2013 02:55 PM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  Joan Chaconas (my D.C. history expert) and I discussed this alley question. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason as to what streets were "cared for" and which ones were left as dirt until after the Civil War. However, both of us are taking an educated guess that the cobblestones may well have been there - and we are basing this solely on the fact that the alley led to the back of a theater where props, lumber, etc. had to delivered; and adjacent was the back of an undertaking establishment where corpses and coffins were taken. It seems logical that sturdier pavement would be needed for heavier loads (not just horses), especially in the rainy season.

I believe there is a book about the alleys of Washington, but I don't know if it goes into their paving history. I really should read that book because I have always been interested in the stories of the alley dwellers. Some of the alleys have great names, like Louse Alley, Tin Cup Alley, Marble Alley, and Fighting Alley. Several of the 73 brothels of D.C. during the Civil War were listed as being in some of these alleys. In fact, one in Fighting Alley was owned by Margaret HANKS. She employed six "inmates," but the Provost Marshal's Office listed it as low class in their 1864-65 report.

Laurie:

If you do find that book on alleys I would love to read it. I am a closet alley dweller!

Mike
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Baptist Alley and preservation - mgambuzza - 02-13-2013, 11:58 AM
RE: Baptist Alley and preservation - mgambuzza - 02-14-2013 04:42 PM