Group Photo of Hartranft and his Staff
01-16-2013, 07:36 PM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2013 08:01 PM by John E..)
Group Photo of Hartranft and his Staff
In an earlier thread, many people ventured guesses as to when the photo of General Hartranft and his staff was taken by Alexander Gardner. It seemed logical that the photo was taken on the same day as the execution. Mark Katz (biographer of Alexander Gardner) states as much in his book Witness To An Era.

However, Katz does not provide any supporting documentation. This led me to take a closer look at the photos to try and determine if there are any clues that might help narrow down an accurate time-frame.

With a little brainstorming between me, Barry and Betty Ownsbey, I think we have come up with a plausible date for the photo.

We know for a fact that Gardner was issued a pass to the Arsenal grounds on July 5 - two days before the execution. The general assumption was that he used that day to scout for ideal locations to take photos and set up his equipment.

It looks as though he may have taken the group photo that day as well. Here are the observations that led to the conclusion:

1. Upon closer review, General Hartranft, Surgeon Porter and Col. Dodd are all wearing Mourning Crape in honor of President Lincoln. It is HIGHLY unlikely and probably inappropriate for them to have worn the black cloth on the day of the conspirators' execution. They wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong idea about who they were mourning.

2. Several flies can be seen on the men in the group photo. July 4th was supposedly a rain soaked day in the Nation's capital and would explain the muddy appearance of the men's boots and sloshy ground. It also might explain the presence of flies scurrying about. July 7 was extremely warm and journalists commented on the dry dirt near the graves. - Thanks Betty.

3. Most of General Hartranft's staff can be seen wearing white gloves during the execution. They aren't wearing them in the group shot.

4. July 7 was a very bright and sunny day and many folks in attendance wore hats and carried umbrellas to block the sunlight. None of the men in the group photo have their hats on.

Some of the observations carry less weight than the others and could be explained away.

Thoughts ? Your opinions or comments are welcomed.

P.S. - I haven't talked to Barry today and he may not agree but we did hammer out some observations together.

2 additional observations:

1. The man seated on the far left (Capt. R.A. Watts) in the group photo is holding a kepi. In the execution photos, he is pictured wearing an officer's slouch hat.

2. The man standing in the center (Lt. Geissinger) is pictured in the execution photos wearing a small type of white ribbon tied around the front of his neck. In the execution photos, he's wearing a similar ribbon, but its much larger and noticeable.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Group Photo of Hartranft and his Staff - John E. - 01-16-2013 07:36 PM