What Was The Role of David Herold
04-15-2013, 02:56 PM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2013 02:58 PM by BettyO.)
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold
Quote:I'll give you he probably got thrown from his horse, but he managed to figure out to go to Mrs Surratts at night, with lots of military people around. The place had to be lit up some? What time was it and how many soldiers/detectives were there at the time he got arrested? Why not just keep walking and check back in 30 minites or so? How long was it after he had been thrown and lost his horse? There was also a soldier stationed under the front porch but in the darkness, Powell may not have noticed him - nor the carriage parked further up the street.

If he was planning on going to Baltimore, why didn't he head in that direction. He had money. If he was heading that way, what changed his mind? Fear of getting caught? His back up plan, if he had one, didn't work out to well. I'll also grant that he was probably scared out of his mind, had a bad headache, but he had more war-combat-escape experience than Booth, and was probably a resourcefull guy. After all he was selected (or was he the only one who volunteered) for this mission. Somebody higher up must have thought he had a chance. I don't think we can blame it all on falling off a horse and bumping his head badly. Some of these questions we will never know the answers to, but it doesn't add up to me

As far as I know, there was no gas light in that part of DC at the time - so it was pretty dark. There were at least four detectives there: Devoe, Wermerskirch, Roche and Sampson - plus additional soldiers; don't really know how many.

According to Powell himself in conversation with Gillette, his horse threw him sometime shortly after he attempted his escape from Seward's house. This was near Fort Bunker Hill and is also verified by a statement from Colonel John A. Foster who heard a horse swiftly approaching on the night of April 14, followed the sounds of the horse attempting to jump a ditch down an embankment near the fort. Shortly thereafter, Foster claimed that he and two others heard the sounds of the horse galloping away in the opposite direction down on the road and then moaning sounds as if a person were in distress. The soldiers were going to check it out when the moaning/groaning sounds stopped. Powell told Gillette that he was knocked out for a short period of time. His facial injuries seem to verify this.

Powell was afraid to move from his "woodland hideout" because he said that Union calvary was moving backwards and forwards all through the area the next morning. Add to that the fact that he was covered with mud, dirty and had no hat.

In the Victorian era, a gentleman without a hat would be as conspicious as a man with a frockcoat on would be today - it simply wasn't done! He waited until the search parties quieted down and decided that after 3 days he had done enough hiding (on his own words; again to Gillette) and went to Mrs. Surratt's house to obtain clothing (apparently a hat), get a good hot meal and then rest a bit before going on to Baltimore by train. Yes, he DID have the train fare.

Some things we'll never know - and that is the charm of the entire mystery/story....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 01-07-2013, 05:53 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Hess1865 - 01-31-2013, 11:38 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 02-28-2013, 12:18 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 02-28-2013, 12:50 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 04-14-2013, 12:09 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - BettyO - 04-15-2013 02:56 PM