The Mudd family, David Herold and the Sothorons.
12-21-2012, 08:36 AM
RE: The Mudd family, David Herold and the Sothorons.
(12-19-2012 12:45 AM)John Stanton Wrote:  GOOD TOPIC. I had a conversation with David Gaddy on this Family, a long time ago. My file is "buried" in the barn and not readily available. David is not readly available either, he's off having Christmas with his family. But, I'll get it together in time.
LAURIE. I don't disagree with you - ever. I know better than that.
In this case, you disagree with me. Here are my facts - pick them apart.
Mosby recalled his "wintering Companies" to him in March '65, long before there was an assassination plot. So, Mosby was out of here (King George Co.) completely. The "Protection Group" was composed of the 9th VA Cav. and the 15th VA Cav. All those people lived here. Therefore, their presence would not raise a Red Flag that something special was in the works. Mosby was not part of the "protection group". In the April time frame there was a Navy Partisan Group, active in this general area. They were at one time in King George, but Cawood and Brogden ran them off. (That's another story)
On April 15, Lee sent word to Mosby that he should disband. I have a problem believing that Mosby still had Troops remote from him, particularly in Southern Maryland. On April 16th Richmond learned that Booth shot Lincoln, and that Booth was, or probably, coming down the "Secret Line". I can readily accept that Mosby was ordered to find Booth and bring him in. Were Ruggles, Bainbridge, and Jett, sent ahead - because they lived here - to intercept Booth, and stick with him. It is not far fetched to believe that there were others looking for him, at Ashland, Fredericksburg, etc. but they didn't get their names in the History Books. Mosby left Upperville/Marshall area and rode west of I-95, and parallel to it, waiting to find Booth.
In summary, Mosby had nothing to do with the Southern Maryland mix-up. (Please, let me hear, if you can find errors in this analysis.)

John, you always make good points. I greatly respect your knowledge of the events, particularly in King George County. I feel "Come Retribution" lays out a very well, the Confederate government involvement. What do you think of the suipposed involvement of Thomas H. Williamson? He was my grt grandfather's great uncle.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Thank you for your reply. - Stephen - 12-19-2012, 02:24 AM
RE: The Mudd family, David Herold and the Sothorons. - Jim Garrett - 12-21-2012 08:36 AM