Ida Tarbell Lincoln Papers Online
07-13-2012, 11:07 PM
RE: Ida Tarbell Lincoln Papers Online
(07-11-2012 02:02 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Rob, I was just looking at my copy of Ida Tarbell's Abraham Lincoln and His Ancestors this morning. Craig H. and I were exchanging emails trying to get the correct birth year for Samuel Lincoln (Abraham Lincoln's great, great, great, great, grandfather - I think I said that right). Tarbell has it in 1619, Barton says 1619?, but other sources have it in 1622. It gets sort of confusing trying to sort through all the details.

This is an interesting thread Roger! Is anyone familiar with the work of Lea & Hutchison? Included in this book is a Register from Hingham in Norfolk County, England. It lists a baptismal date for a Samuel Lincoln of 24 August, 1622. He is listed as the son of Edward. A brother Daniel (son of Edward) baptised 28 March, 1619. It appears that Samuel was three when he was baptised. This would fit his age of 18 years when he docked at Salem in 1637.

The History of the Town of Hingham Massachusetts lists eight early colonists by the name of Lincoln.
1.) Daniel Lincoln (The Husbandman) (died 1644 without issue)
2.) Samuel Lincoln
3.) Thomas Lincoln (The Weaver) (died 1675)
(Daniel, Samuel, & Thomas are listed as brothers.)
4.) Daniel Lincoln (The Sergeant & Boatman)
5.) Stephen Lincoln
6.) Thomas Lincoln (The Husbandman)
(Stephen & Thomas were brothers)
7.) Thomas Lincoln (The Cooper)
8.) Thomas Lincoln (The Miller)

Something that is interesting to note is the spelling of Lincoln as listed in a passenger list from England in 1637. It is spelled "Samuel Lincorne." I believe that this is how German immigrants tried to claim at the turn of the last century that Abraham Lincoln was of German heritage.

Craig
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ida Tarbell Lincoln Papers Online - Craig Hipkins - 07-13-2012 11:07 PM