Tad, the "marked character"
11-21-2012, 12:12 PM
RE: Tad, the "marked character"
(11-20-2012 08:17 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  I don't think MTL's commentary on Tad was positive in nature. He was what we would call today a "special needs" child?

I have often wondered if Tad truly was a special needs child. If he was, he seems to have outgrown the problem as his studies in Europe were the same as other students.

The phrase "marked character" has always made me wonder if Mary was referring to something other than a learning disability. As a member and believer of the Presbyterian faith, Mary was fully schooled in the theory of predestination. I am not an expert on the teachings of religion in the 19th century, but my understanding of predestination is that it means "fate" or "destiny" as planned by God. Mary would have believed that Lincoln was elected because that was part of God's overall plan. Lincoln was killed because God willed Lincoln to die for the sins of the nation. Lincoln was 'marked' or destined to fullfill his mission. Is it possible she also thought Tad was "marked" for a greater good?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tad, the "marked character" - Jim Page - 11-20-2012, 07:30 PM
RE: Tad, the "marked character" - Gene C - 11-20-2012, 07:49 PM
RE: Tad, the "marked character" - Jim Page - 11-20-2012, 08:43 PM
RE: Tad, the "marked character" - Donna McCreary - 11-21-2012 12:12 PM