Gettysburg Address 150 years later
11-20-2012, 12:15 PM
RE: Gettysburg Address 150 years later
Like others, I have been to Gettysburg for Remembrance Day observances as well as re-enactments. Both are very moving experiences. Nothing brings a tear any faster, however, than hearing James Getty as President Lincoln reciting the Gettysburg Address. I am friends with Jim, and, in my opinion, he is the best of the best of Lincoln portrayers. I would also have liked to have been there on Monday to hear Steven Spielberg.

Our local news station carried a portion of that program, and right afterwards did a human interest story related to Mr. Lincoln. There is evidently a Hall of Presidents in Florida, which has a large statue of a seated Lincoln very similar to that in the Lincoln Memorial. For days, people could hear a kitten crying from somewhere inside the hollow statue.

The only way to get to it was to drill a hole large enough for a small firefighter to get into. He brought out a three-week-old gray kitten whose eyes were not even fully open. The kitten was turned over to a vet and was christened Abe. I bet that there will be a stampede of people wanting to adopt Abe.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gettysburg Address 150 years later - Laurie Verge - 11-20-2012 12:15 PM