An In Depth View Of Mary Todd Linoln's Life
02-02-2024, 12:40 PM
RE: An In Depth View Of Mary Todd Linoln's Life
If memory serves correctly, the assertion did come from Jean Baker's biography.
Years, ago I contacted the historian and Hildene to discuss whether Mary Harlan Lincoln had a problem with liquor. Their financial records show no purchases of alcoholic beverages with the exception of a particular brand of beer that one of their guests enjoyed. There is also a newspaper article from Mt. Pleasant, Iowa which stated Mrs. Lincoln served too much pink champagne at a party. This could have been a one time event.

I am not sure how her religious beliefs would have influenced her choice to drink alcohol. Members of that denomination have told me that their church preaches against the use of alcoholic beverages and any type of recreational drug. However, I am not finding anything written to support those comments. Since I do not attend services for that denomination, I am unfamiliar with their beliefs. If anyone knows the teachings of the Christian Scientist Church concerning alcohol consumption, please share the information.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: An In Depth View Of Mary Todd Linoln's Life - Donna McCreary - 02-02-2024 12:40 PM