The Reputation of Presidents Takes a Hit in Their Second Term
08-31-2022, 08:38 AM
RE: The Reputation of Presidents Takes a Hit in Their Second Term
Mike,

Don't forget, however, that compensated emancipation would have had to be approved by Congress since it controls the purse strings. I personally doubt that the Radicals would have approved paying a defeated South one cent for something that was on the way out with their defeat.

Roger, I agree wholeheartedly with Neely, which is why I believe not only would Lincoln have been stymied by the Radicals on anything less than total capitulation where slavery was concerned. I also think much of the public would have rejected anything that made their sacrifice seem unnecessary. While I have no solid numbers I would like to see a study on the average citizen's view of Reconstruction policy. I have also long held the belief that had Reconstruction been more punitive the Lost Cause school would have been less likely to hold sway throughout history like it has.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Reputation of Presidents Takes a Hit in Their Second Term - Rob Wick - 08-31-2022 08:38 AM