The Reputation of Presidents Takes a Hit in Their Second Term
08-22-2022, 01:09 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2022 06:59 PM by Rob Wick.)
RE: The Reputation of Presidents Takes a Hit in Their Second Term
Roger,

A lot of it would depend on how well Lincoln could have handled the Radicals. While he obviously would have been much smarter than Andrew Johnson it's really hard to say how much more successful he would have been. While his handling of men was superior to many people given how much Lincoln favored reconciliation it would have been a tough row to hope with Stevens or Sumner I believe that Lincoln would have made the treatment of the freedmen his top priority, but the period of Reconstruction was a marathon and not a sprint. Much of it would depend on how well Lincoln set the stage for his successors.

That sai, I would question how strongly we would venerate Lincoln's memory today. He certainly would be strongly admired, but four more years of politics would have taken its toll.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Reputation of Presidents Takes a Hit in Their Second Term - Rob Wick - 08-22-2022 01:09 PM