President Lincoln's "Blind Memorandum"
07-09-2022, 10:08 AM
RE: President Lincoln's "Blind Memorandum"
(06-16-2022 05:01 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Text of “Blind Memorandum,” August 23, 1864, Abraham Lincoln Papers, Manuscript Division, Library of Congress:

[Image: Blind-memo-recto-al0204.jpg]

The following is an excerpt from the Benjamin P. Thomas book Abraham Lincoln -- A Biography published in 1952 (page 454):

At a cabinet meeting the next day Lincoln asked the members if they recalled the sealed paper he had asked them to sign in late August. Then he had Hay remove the seals and read it to them. [See the copy above of the actual previously-sealed paper in Lincoln's handwriting.]

“You will remember that this was written at a time (6 days before the Chicago nominating convention)" the President said, "when as yet we had no adversary and seemed to have no friends. I then solemnly resolved on the course of action indicated above. I resolved, in case of the election of McClellan, being certain that he would be the candidate, that I would see him and talk matters over with him. I would say, General, the election has demonstrated that you are stronger, have more influence with the American people than I. Now let us together, you with your influence and I with all the executive power of the Government, try to save the country. You raise as many troops as you possibly can for this final trial, and I will devote all my energies to assisting and finishing the war.”

Seward grinned wryly. McClellan would have answered: "Yes, yes," he thought, and done nothing. And again it would have been "Yes, yes," and nothing done.

“At least,” Lincoln responded, “I should have done my duty and have stood clear before my own conscience.”

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: President Lincoln's "Blind Memorandum" - David Lockmiller - 07-09-2022 10:08 AM