President Lincoln's "Blind Memorandum"
06-15-2022, 05:15 PM (This post was last modified: 06-17-2022 07:40 PM by David Lockmiller.)
RE: President Lincoln's "Blind Memorandum"
President Lincoln said to Pennsylvania supporters on the night of November 10, 1864 (two days after the election and with his confirmation of reelection practically assured):

"I earnestly believe that the consequences of this day’s work, if it be as you assure me and as now seems probable, will be to the lasting advantage, if not to the very salvation, of the country. . . . [A]ll who have labored today in behalf of the Union organization, have wrought for the best interests of their country and the world, not only for the present, but for all future ages. . . . I give thanks to the Almighty for this evidence of the people’s resolution to stand by free government and the rights of humanity."

President Lincoln's oath of office was to the Constitution of the United States, including the provisions by which the will of the people is expressed in the choice of presidential leadership in national elections held every four years, even in time of war, and even a Civil War.

In President Lincoln's mind, there was no thought in the nature of personal self-interest that "the ends justify the means." The "blind memorandum" provides absolute and irrefutable proof of this fact. Professor Michael Burlingame wrote:

On August 23, 1864, the despairing Lincoln wrote one of his most curious documents, a memorandum revealing his belief that a Democratic victory was likely: “This morning, as for some days past, it seems exceedingly probable that this Administration will not be re-elected. Then it will be my duty to so co-operate with the President elect, as to save the Union between the election and the inauguration; as he will have secured his election on such ground that he can not possibly save it afterwards. (Complete Works Lincoln 7:514) He folded and sealed this document and then, inexplicably, asked his cabinet to sign it without knowing its contents. It became known as the “blind memorandum.” Lincoln may have feared that its contents would be leaked to the press if the cabinet had been allowed to read it.

Several weeks later, Lincoln read the “blind memorandum” to the cabinet and explained its genesis:

“[Y]ou will remember that this was written at a time (6 days before the Chicago nominating convention) when as yet we had no adversary, and seemed to have no friends,” he said. “I then solemnly resolved on the course of action indicated above. I resolved, in case of the election of General McClellan[,] being certain that he be the Candidate, that I would see him and talk matters over with him. I would say, ‘General, the election has demonstrated that you are stronger, have more influence with the American people than I. Now let us together, you with your influence and I with all the executive power of the Government, try to save the country. You raise as many troops as you possibly can for this final trial, and I will devote all my energies to assisting and finishing the war.”

Seward remarked at the time, “And the General would answer you ‘Yes, Yes’; and the next day when you saw him again & pressed these views upon him he would say, ‘Yes—yes’ & so on forever and would have done nothing at all.”

“At least,” Lincoln replied, “I should have done my duty and have stood clear before my own conscience.”

President Lincoln's presidential oath of office to the United States Constitution was kept in accordance and compliance with national election provisions of the United States Constitution.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: President Lincoln's "Blind Memorandum" - David Lockmiller - 06-15-2022 05:15 PM